Sunday, June 24, 2007

I Resolve To . . . Make Conscious Choices And Decisions!

So many choices! On any given day we make dozens, and sometimes hundreds, of large and small choices and decisions. What to have for lunch? Left turn or right turn on the way to a new destination in the car? Head to the gym, or not? Procrastinate, or get busy with that important work project?

Some choices and decisions are carefully thought out. For instance, 'how to proceed with a work project'. Others are driven by mood and attitude. You know those feelings, 'I don't feel like working on my novel because I don't feel inspired'. Or, 'I feel like giving it a go today. I am sitting down at my computer right now, and I'll do the best I can. I'm going to write three pages'. Or, 'I feel too tired to work out, I think I'll just plop down on the couch and watch some television instead'. Personally, I try to avoid that choice since I always feel better and more energetic if I overcome my fatigue and do a 20-30-minute work out. Sometimes the best course is to push past the initial 'easy' choice. When you do that you reap greater reward and fulfillment.

So many choices are made unconsciously, automatically. I think of these unconscious choices as 'sleep-walking' through the day. Consider all the choices you make with little or no thought. For instance at lunchtime do you buy a cheeseburger because that's what you always order, instead of reviewing your options and trying something new? Tomorrow try this experiment: As you make the journey through your day, really 'think about the choices and decisions you are making'. Consider the type and variety of choices that you make. How many do you actually 'think about'? How many are intuitive choices, or habitual choices, or instinctive choices? What would happen if you gave more thought to those choices?

Few things in life are free. You typically get what you pay for. I find that the quality of my life improves when I 'act' and give conscious thought to my choices and decisions. I feel more in control of my life, more optimistic, and I tend to make 'better' choices and decisions. Of course, it's not possible to spend hours and hours scrutinizing every aspect of every choice that you make - there simply are not enough hours in the day. 'Over thinking' is probably less productive than giving 'no thought' to choices and decisions. The act of choosing then adds more stress and 'worrying' to your day.

Yes, like most things there is a fine line, and balance involved, but it's certainly worth a try if it could improve the quality of your life. Tomorrow, give your choices and decisions some forethought and care. Consider 'how and why' you make choices, and how you could benefit if you actively participate in the choosing, rather than passively letting things happen. Why not start your day by choosing to have a 'great day' and by being positive and optimistic? I hope you also choose to devote some time to 'you' and your dreams, resolutions and goals.

Remember: I Resolve To Achieve My New Year Resolutions, One Resolution, One Day At A Time For One Year. It's your choice. Do it today. Turn your resolution into reality. Make your resolution a permanent Lifetime Resolution, something that's with you for good! Above all, Be A Resolutionista, someone who keeps resolutions and enjoys the journey! Let's Go For It!!

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments:
Hi Marvin -
This article is copyright, I Resolve To, Inc., Kim Simpson, All Rights Reserved. Please make that clear. You are curently violating my copyright.
Thank you,
Kim Simpson
IResolveTo.com
 
Hi Marvin -
This article is copyright, I Resolve To, Inc., Kim Simpson, All Rights Reserved. Please make that clear. You are curently violating my copyright.
Thank you,
Kim Simpson
IResolveTo.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?